When my eldest daughter was a newborn, we went to baby massage together. An 8-week course that have benefited my family enormously. I have streamlined what I learned and I basically only use the belly massage today, which works perfectly on all members of the family! It not only helps with tummy aches in little babies but also to unwind after intense days of daycare/school/work. The massage helps with both gas and constipation, it's like an extra help for the bowels. Periodically we have had a massage session as part of our bedtime procedure and then the babies always fell asleep much quicker and also slept more peacefully throughout the night. So it's minutes well invested every night. And if you want your partner to fall asleep faster, you can give him/her a round too:-)
Take a look at the video to see how easy, effective and cosy baby massage is!
To think about:
- Always ask for permission! (as for the belly massage, it's ok to give a lighter massage even if the baby doesn't seem to like it (older children and adults can tell you how it feels), there may be gas that irritates and then it's not so nice during the massage itself, but guaranteed to feel better afterwards).
- Remove the diaper/underwear, or make sure it is loose so that it does not interfere with the massage.
- Use a good massage oil, organic with natural substances is recommended.
- Make sure your hands are warm!
- Don't be too harsh, easy movements apply. But not so light that it just tickles, then the massage does not serve the purpose it is intended.
- Never massage your stomach immediately after a meal.
- Music/singing is a nice accompaniment to the massage.